At 5:24 am EDT on May 17, the sun erupted with an Earth-directed coronal mass ejection or CME, a solar phenomenon that can send billions of tons of solar particles into space that can reach Earth one to three days later and affect electronic systems in satellites and on the ground. Experimental NASA research models, based on observations from NASA's Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory, ...
Researchers from the SETI Institute, the Mars Institute, NASA Ames Research Center, and the space robotics company Honeybee Robotics, have successfully completed a first series of field tests aimed at investigating how humans will explore and work on near-Earth asteroids (NEAs) and eventually the two moons of Mars, Phobos and Deimos. From April 13 to 15, field experiments were conducted at the ...
ABU DHABI // The wait for the start of Ramadan is always an anxious one. After weeks of guesses and rumours about what the date will be, astronomers haul their telescopes to the highest point in their emirate and watch for the new crescent moon to usher in the Holy Month. But last week the French Muslim Council voted to do away with that, basing the start of Ramadan on astronomical calculations ...
The Large Hadron Collider was built in the pursuit of pure science, but research into quantum mechanics might soon yield enormous benefits for computing. Photograph: Rex ...
A male elephant seal opens wide at sea. Scientists have found the H1N1 virus strain in northern elephant seals off the coast of California, the first such detection in marine ...
88.7°F Mostly Cloudy
Winds: From the ENE at 12.0 MPH Gusting to 20.0 MPH
Mr. Rice's Secret
Mr. Rice's Secret is a children's film about dealing with death. There are not many films aimed at kids that deal with this topic because, in Western society at least, we feel the need to protect them from it. Why? Death is part of the natural cycle of life, yet there is an enduring belief that children somehow cannot comprehend it--as if they are not part of that cycle and need to be prot ... ...
News from the biggest beat in the cosmos, going out 13.7 billion light-years and taking in everything from astronomy to zoology. Join the adventure ...
Members of the military police and security gather at the scene of an explosion in front of the Greek embassy, right, in Tripoli on May 18, 2013. (REUTERS/Ismail Zitouny) OTTAWA - Greek foreign affairs officials report no injuries following a small explosion Saturday outside the Embassy of Greece in Libya's capital Tripoli. Officials say a "low power explosive device" was placed ...
(Fotolia) One fisherman has been found dead and the search is on for two others after their boat hit a sandbar off the coast of New Brunswick Saturday. The Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Halifax said it received a distress call from the men at around 5:30 a.m. A spokesman said the dead man was found near the sandbar and the Canadian Coast Guard is looking for the other two men who were ...
After a relatively calm few weeks, North Korea fired three short-range missiles Saturday, a South Korean Defense Ministry spokesman said. NPR's Louisa Lim reports that North Korea fired the missiles in defiance of international sanctions. She filed this report for our Newscast ...
AUSTIN, Texas - The Powerball jackpot being drawn on Saturday night could be even higher than the record $600 million being advertised, pushing it near or above the largest lottery jackpot in U.S. history, a Texas Lottery official said on Saturday. "Oftentimes, the advertised amount is lower than what the actual jackpot ends up being," said Kelly Cripe, a spokeswoman for the Texas ...
On the record
He is the most evil, vile, demonic criminal. He is dead to me. There will be no visits, there will be no phone calls. He can never be Daddy again. I have no sympathy for the man.
Gregg was speaking about her father Ariel Castro who allegedly kidnapped, raped and held captive for a decade, three young women in Cleveland, Ohio.
Crowne Plaza Hotel, Coogee, Sydney
This 4.5 star hotel is one of our favourites. Overlooking Coogee Beach and just a 15 minute drive from the ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who is 84, is being retried in Cairo. Do you believe this is a good thing?
Houston MirrorHouston Mirror | Continuously updating Houston News
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Houston news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Houston Mirror is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Houston.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Houston weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Houston Mirror is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
A Proton-M rocket carrying a French telecommunications satellite has blasted off from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan, said a spokesman for Russian space agency Roscosmos.
Tuesday's launch was the 386th of a Proton rocket and the third Proton launch this year.
The launch took place at 20.02 Moscow time (4.02 p.m. GMT), the Roscosmos spokesman said.
Separation of the French W3D satellite from the Russian rocket was scheduled for 5.15 a.m. (1.15 a.m. GMT) Wednesday, he added.
The W3D satellite was built by Thales Alenia Space for Paris-based Eutelsat on the Spacebus 4000 C3 platform.
The 5,400 kg satellite has a service life of 15 years.
It will provide extensive Ku-band coverage across Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia for video links and data networks as well as Direct-to-Home (DTH) reception and Internet services.
- Multi-million dollar cigarette smuggling ring with terror links busted
- US president calls for more embassy security funding
- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev scribbled note in boat as munhunt was on
- Obama Turns Focus on Middle-Class Jobs
- Mariah Careys rep slams American Idol lip-synching rumors
- At Least 5 Dead in Texas Fertilizer Plant Explosion
- Boy Scout vote on gay youth expected
- 300-pound man dies after stun gun fired
- Construction to cause delays on MoPac
- Sounders FC vs. FC Dallas preview and prediction
- Near-Earth asteroids and Mars 2 moons considered for future space missions
- Mars rover Opportunity examining rock changed by water
- Violent winds on Uranus and Neptune confined to upper atmosphere
- Paul McCartney kicks off Out There tour in U.S.
- Texas joins flood of states suing BP over 2010 Gulf spill
- US couple donates land to Argentine park
- Ore. timber country ponders future with fewer logs
- Greenpeace asks Philippinegovernment to halt Bt eggplantex...
- Canada uneasy about oil-sands byproduct accumulation
- Cutting rain forests may undercut hydro output
- Missile launched from North Korea
- Iraq seeing more violence
- Mobile phones can be tracked says US judge
- Sex assaults convince top general to take action
- Gay marriage can now take place in France
- Fugitive to police on Facebook Catch me if you can. They do
- How to really really make your naked Snapchat photos disappear
- Google Translate now serves 200 million people daily
- New Xbox more than a game console for Microsoft
- Could Tumblr turn into Yahoos MySpace
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Houston Mirror headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Todays MLB starting lineups May 18
- High-speed chase ends in crash
- Grimm looking for positive results vs. Tigers
- Rangers run out of chances against Tigers
- Father claims he and daughter hurt on ride at rodeo