Dogs are well-known for being able to sniff out deadly explosives but they could have a rival in the future - honeybees. Researchers say the insects have a perfect sense of smell that can detect the odour and they may be used to help find unexploded landmines in Croatia. The sugar-craving bees are being trained to identify their food by using the scent of TNT (trinitrotoluene), a powerful ...
who loves her job just as much as Mr Gooley, even though she has to sniff strangers' armpits for a living.As the company's "underarm odour assessor'' she works on research and development for brands like Rexona, Dove, Lynx and Impulse."The first time I took part in sniffing it did seem a bit strange however, within the first week of the job it was fine,'' ...
Fire ants are an invasive species in the warmer areas of the US, and we here at Weird Science are told by people who have experienced the invasion personally that their fearsome reputation is well deserved. So, normally, you'd expect said people to be happy to hear that the fire ants population seems to be going down. Unfortunately, it's going down because an even more deranged ant is ...
Prison Planet.com May 18, 2013 In his recent testimony before Congress, US Attorney General Eric Holder, the so-called highest law-enforcement officer in the land, responded to questions about the AP scandal. Holder's Justice Dept. had secretly subpoenaed and seized the phone records of Associated Press reporters. Holder stated he didn't know anything about anything, because he had ...
Johannesburg - In defiance of Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa’s refusal to publicly disclose a list of national key points, the bid by civil society coalition Right2Know (R2K) to "crowd source" the list has turned up 84 of the estimated 180 to 200 ...
77.2°F Mostly Cloudy
Winds: From the NE at 9.0 MPH Gusting to 13.0 MPH
People on Sunday (Menschen am Sonntag) [Blu-Ray]
Were it not for the men involved behind the camera, People on Sunday (Menschen am Sonntag), a low-budget, mostly improvised experiment in mixing documentary aesthetics with a fictional narrative, would likely be a forgotten film. Made independently in the shadow of ... ...
, which is both its strength and its flaw. It's a flaw if you're expecting traditional horror and dread. The kind of dread that does emerge is, for example, a young gay man's dread of coming out. Or an immigrant's horror at being forced to fit into a closed society that loathes him.Kieren returns to his home village of Roarton, in northern England. Complications arise ...
For many years, one of my favorite places to meet someone for a cocktail was the King Cole Bar at the St. Regis Hotel. I loved the moodiness of the dark-paneled room, the whimsy of the Maxfield Parrish mural behind the ...
sat on for more than a year or you receive a flurry of excessive and/or illegal information requests, that's not targeting. That's what former acting IRS commissioner Steve Miller, speaking at a new Ways & Means hearing, on Friday called "horrible customer service."To a layperson, the semantic parsing over whether the Tea Party-type groups were targeted or not seems ...
Popular Resistance Is Percolating Across the Country -- The Inspiring Actions True Patriots Are Taking That the Corporate Media Always Ignores
Every week we are inspired by the many people throughout the country who are doing excellent work to challenge the power structure and put forward a new path for the country. The popular resistance to plutocracy, concentrated wealth and corporatism is decentralized, creative and growing. One growing series of protests has been the "MoralMonday" demonstrations in North Carolina. They ...
Edmonton police have released a photo radar image taken May 10, 2013, of a new dark grey Dodge Dart involved in the alleged abduction of a woman on May 16, 2013, near Rexall ...
On the record
He is the most evil, vile, demonic criminal. He is dead to me. There will be no visits, there will be no phone calls. He can never be Daddy again. I have no sympathy for the man.
Gregg was speaking about her father Ariel Castro who allegedly kidnapped, raped and held captive for a decade, three young women in Cleveland, Ohio.
Crowne Plaza Hotel, Coogee, Sydney
This 4.5 star hotel is one of our favourites. Overlooking Coogee Beach and just a 15 minute drive from the ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who is 84, is being retried in Cairo. Do you believe this is a good thing?
Houston MirrorHouston Mirror | Continuously updating Houston News
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Houston news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Houston Mirror is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Houston.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Houston weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Houston Mirror is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
A Proton-M rocket carrying a French telecommunications satellite has blasted off from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan, said a spokesman for Russian space agency Roscosmos.
Tuesday's launch was the 386th of a Proton rocket and the third Proton launch this year.
The launch took place at 20.02 Moscow time (4.02 p.m. GMT), the Roscosmos spokesman said.
Separation of the French W3D satellite from the Russian rocket was scheduled for 5.15 a.m. (1.15 a.m. GMT) Wednesday, he added.
The W3D satellite was built by Thales Alenia Space for Paris-based Eutelsat on the Spacebus 4000 C3 platform.
The 5,400 kg satellite has a service life of 15 years.
It will provide extensive Ku-band coverage across Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia for video links and data networks as well as Direct-to-Home (DTH) reception and Internet services.
- Multi-million dollar cigarette smuggling ring with terror links busted
- US president calls for more embassy security funding
- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev scribbled note in boat as munhunt was on
- Mariah Careys rep slams American Idol lip-synching rumors
- US First Lady laments culture of African Americans aspiring to be baller or rapper
- Parker ready to lead Spurs against Grizzlies
- Pastor guilty of animal cruelty after injuring cat
- Industry News From Across East Texas
- KEDT to move its operations to Del Mar Colleges Center for Economic Development by 2015
- Report Clippers owner to meet with Vinny Del Negro MAY 18
- Near-Earth asteroids and Mars 2 moons considered for future space missions
- Mars rover Opportunity examining rock changed by water
- Violent winds on Uranus and Neptune confined to upper atmosphere
- Moon Explosion Sparked By Meteorite Crash On Lunar Surface NASA Says
- Despite controversies Obama agenda marches on
- US couple donates land to Argentine park
- Canada uneasy about oil-sands byproduct accumulation
- Cutting rain forests may undercut hydro output
- Kenya Kenya May Soon Reap Millions From Its Forests Says Kefri Researcher
- Ask a grown-up who invented clothes
- Missile launched from North Korea
- Iraq seeing more violence
- Mobile phones can be tracked says US judge
- Sex assaults convince top general to take action
- Gay marriage can now take place in France
- New Xbox more than a game console for Microsoft
- Could Tumblr turn into Yahoos MySpace
- Vocal acrobatics of La Donna del Lago an Olympic challenge
- Pixels camera failure only one of many
- Googles wearable Glass gadget cool or creepy
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Houston Mirror headlines delivered to your inbox.
- High-speed chase ends in crash
- Grimm looking for positive results vs. Tigers
- Rangers run out of chances against Tigers
- Father claims he and daughter hurt on ride at rodeo
- Deputies 6-year-old drowns at community pool