Protesters marching in the tens of thousands rallied in Italy on Sunday to rail against the policies of the new coalition government. Around 100,000 protesters, led by trade unionists, converged on Rome to wave red flags and placards, urging changes to austerity measures. The union-led crowd called for the new government of centre-left Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, to focus on job ...
Americans are at their most optimistic since 2007 according to a Thomson Reuters/University of Michigan index of consumer sentiment. The preliminary index has shown optimism increased to 83.7 in May as stocks surged and real estate climbed. With record stock prices boosting household wealth and unemployment down in some areas, consumers were able to see their way through the effects of ...
Britain's Financial Times was hacked last week by a mysterious group calling itself the Syrian Electronic Army. The newspaper's technology blog was hacked to display a slogan saying: "Hacked by the Syrian Electronic Army." Several Twitter feeds run by the Financial Times were also plastered with similar slogans. The FT later said its blogs and social media accounts had been compromised ...
The Saudi Arabia state news agency has reported a coordinated attack on the country's government websites. Several government websites in Saudi Arabia came under heavy cyber attacks last week, shutting them down for a short time. The attacks have been traced to IP addresses from a number of countries. Saudi investigators found the attacks had been launched from hundreds of Internet ...
Target Corp has opened a new office base in San Francisco in order to discover technology ideas. With the second-largest US retailer trying to grow its online commerce business, a Technology Innovation Center has been set up to develop mobile commerce, which has become a particular focus of retailers because new technology allows people to use their mobile devices to shop. With a huge ...
86.4°F Partly Cloudy
Winds: From the ENE at 7.0 MPH Gusting to 19.0 MPH
Road to Perdition
Road to Perdition, director Sam Mendes' follow-up to his 1999 Oscar-winning hit American Beauty, is a stately, elegant gangster film, beautifully directed and somehow both moving and slightly distanced. Perhaps it is the film's formal beauty--its graceful camera movements, rich dark-amber hues, and precise compositions--that keeps it at a slight distance, almost too gorgeous an imag ... ...
Passengers in SUVs are now known to be more likely to survive a serious crash. A new study conducted by the University of Buffalo in the US has found the driver of the SUV is as much as 10 times more likely to survive in a head-on collision where a passenger car is involved. While automakers have taken steps to improve safety in normal passenger cars, such as changing bumper designs on ...
Spain has reported a trade surplus, the first since 1971. With imports slumping due to austerity measures, the first monthly trade surplus for more than 40 years is being seen as a positive development. However, the country is still suffering from an economic downturn with unemployment in Spain now running at 26.7%. The surplus of 634.9 million euros in March reflects a 15% plunge in ...
(Reuters) - Ryder System <R.N), a truck rental and supply chain management company, could see its shares rise as much as 20 percent, according to a Barron's ...
CHICAGO (Reuters) - Financial trading in world markets has grown so lightning-fast that effective regulation is growing tougher by the second, increasing the threat of crashes sparked by hoaxes, electronic glitches or yet-unknown ...
THE Australian dollar is slightly higher, but has failed to make any significant gains despite US stocks rising to a new all-time record at the end of last week. At 0700 AEST on Monday, the local unit was trading at 97.59 US cents, up from 97.37 cents on Friday. Late on Friday night, the currency fell as low as 97.11 US cents, its weakest level since early June 2012. The US dollar continued to ...
On the record
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
One of a cluster of oceanside and oceanfront deluxe hotels on the beach at Santa Monica, Loews is one of ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Houston MirrorHouston Mirror | Continuously updating Houston News
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Houston news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Houston Mirror is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Houston.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Houston weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Houston Mirror is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
A Proton-M rocket carrying a French telecommunications satellite has blasted off from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan, said a spokesman for Russian space agency Roscosmos.
Tuesday's launch was the 386th of a Proton rocket and the third Proton launch this year.
The launch took place at 20.02 Moscow time (4.02 p.m. GMT), the Roscosmos spokesman said.
Separation of the French W3D satellite from the Russian rocket was scheduled for 5.15 a.m. (1.15 a.m. GMT) Wednesday, he added.
The W3D satellite was built by Thales Alenia Space for Paris-based Eutelsat on the Spacebus 4000 C3 platform.
The 5,400 kg satellite has a service life of 15 years.
It will provide extensive Ku-band coverage across Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia for video links and data networks as well as Direct-to-Home (DTH) reception and Internet services.
- Alleged unmasked CIA agent leaves Russia
- Sarah Michelle Gellar shares best parenting advice
- NY bar to host smallest penis contest
- Suspected U.S. drone attack in Yemen kills 4 Al Qaeda militants
- I want to shoot Hillary Clinton right in the vagina says radio host
- Texas takes on large oil firms
- New needleless acupuncture therapy reduces diabetics indigestion symptoms
- 1 killed 2 wounded in gunfight
- Letter to the Editor Some thoughts on Ted Cruz
- Driver injured after his pickup crashes into a Fort Worth fire truck
- Britains first astronaut to go on space mission in 2015
- Rodents return to Earth after space flight
- Moon meteor blast visible to naked eye on Earth says NASA
- Associated Press CEO calls records seizure unconstitutional
- McConnell ‘There is a culture of intimidation throughout the administration’
- Dubai moves to stop ivory tusk smuggling
- Mother wasps do the work Country diary 100 years ago
- US Virgin Islands environment head arrested for drug trafficking
- Drug charge for Virgin Islands environment officer
- Weatherwatch Keeping warm under a snowy blanket
- Virginia hikers hit by runaway car
- Israel concerned Russian arms will reach enemies
- Syrian bomb disposal experts on high alert
- Iranian spies die in dawn hanging
- Texas takes on large oil firms
- Financial paper hacked by Syrians
- UPDATE 1-Star Trek sequel tops weekend box office in North America
- UPDATE 1-Indian cinema on a mission at Cannes to dispel Bollywood image
- White House accuses Republicans of fishing expeditions
- Google Americas third political party
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Houston Mirror headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Harris County deputy killed in a crash
- Driver runs down 2 people in parking lot
- Winning ticket for 590-mln-dollar Powerball jackpot sold in Florida
- Holland looks to maintain season-long consistency
- Powerball winning numbers announced