WASHINGTON - Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation Friday announced the planned separation of the $76-billion conglomerate into two distinct publicly traded companies, with one to be renamed 21st Century Fox and the publishing firm to retain the News Corp brand. The split has been formally approved by the Board of Directors. The Company announced appointments to the Boards of Directors of both ...
Nearly 20 years into a stint that saw him steer an unscripted slate that included the likes of When Animals Attack! and American Idol, Fox president of alternative entertainment Mike Darnell is leaving the ...
Fri May 24, 2013 7:46pm EDT * Australian publishing assets mostly to blame * Board formally approves split into two companies By Jennifer Saba May 24 (Reuters) - News Corp said on Friday it will write down the value of its Australian and U.S. publishing assets by up to $1.4 billion, as the company prepares to split its business between its newspaper and entertainment operations. The company said ...
Fri May 24, 2013 5:51pm EDT (Reuters) - Google Inc intends to finance, build and help operate wireless networks from sub-Saharan Africa to Southeast Asia, hoping to connect a billion or so people in emerging countries to the Internet, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday. The Internet search giant - which has for years espoused universal Web access - is employing a patchwork quilt of ...
Fri May 24, 2013 5:48pm EDT By Doug Palmer and Liana B. Baker WASHINGTON May 24 (Reuters) - An influential U.S. senator expressed strong concerns on Friday about Japanese company SoftBank Corp's plan to buy 70 percent of Sprint Nextel , warning it could expose the United States to Chinese cyber attacks. "I have real concerns that this deal, if approved, could make American industry and ...
Winds: From the ESE at 1.0 MPH Gusting to 5.0 MPH
In Sidney Lumets Serpico, Al Pacino solidified his A-list status playing the titular character, a real-life New York City cop named Frank Serpico who, for 12 years, refused the rampant corruption that had infiltrated the police force and was eventually responsible for blowing the whistle and forcing reform through the formation of the Knapp Commission. ...
LOS ANGELES | Fri May 24, 2013 5:43pm EDT LOS ANGELES May 24 (Reuters) - Oklahoma country singer Blake Shelton said on Friday that he will headline a concert to benefit the victims of the Oklahoma tornado that swept through the city of Moore earlier this week, leaving 24 dead and thousands homeless. Shelton, a native of Ada, Oklahoma, which is 75 miles (120 km) northwest of Moore, said ...
LOS ANGELES | Fri May 24, 2013 5:34pm EDT LOS ANGELES May 24 (Reuters) - Longtime Fox television executive Mike Darnell, who helped shepherd "American Idol" to the top of U.S. TV ratings, will leave the network, Fox said on Friday, after the network lost its lead among the younger audience most appealing to advertisers. Darnell, 51, the network's president of alternative ...
Fri May 24, 2013 5:08pm EDT * MTS to sell Allstream business for C$520 mln * MTS shares jump more than 5 percent in Toronto * Deal could result in MTS becoming takeover target By Alastair Sharp and Euan Rocha TORONTO, May 24 (Reuters) - Manitoba Telecom Services Inc will sell its Allstream fiber optic network to a company controlled by telecom tycoon Naguib Sawiris for C$520 million (US$503 ...
Fri May 24, 2013 4:48pm EDT (Adds background and details in paragraphs 3-8) WASHINGTON May 24 (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department said on Friday that senior officials including Attorney General Eric Holder vetted a decision to search an email account belonging to a Fox News reporter whose story on North Korea prompted a leak investigation. In a statement emailed to Reuters, the department ...
Fri May 24, 2013 4:31pm EDT (Corrects to "automattic" from "wordpress" in second paragraph. Corrects spelling of name to Mullenweg from Mullen in seventh paragraph) By Sarah McBride SAN FRANCISCO May 24 (Reuters) - Automattic, the company that operates blogging service WordPress.com, announced a $50 million investment from hedge fund Tiger Global on Friday. The investment comes ...
On the record
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Hyatt Regency New Orleans
Expectations were high for this top of the line Hyatt product in "The Big Easy". The taxi rolled up to ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Houston MirrorHouston Mirror | Continuously updating Houston News
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Houston news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Houston Mirror is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Houston.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Houston weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Houston Mirror is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
A Proton-M rocket carrying a French telecommunications satellite has blasted off from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan, said a spokesman for Russian space agency Roscosmos.
Tuesday's launch was the 386th of a Proton rocket and the third Proton launch this year.
The launch took place at 20.02 Moscow time (4.02 p.m. GMT), the Roscosmos spokesman said.
Separation of the French W3D satellite from the Russian rocket was scheduled for 5.15 a.m. (1.15 a.m. GMT) Wednesday, he added.
The W3D satellite was built by Thales Alenia Space for Paris-based Eutelsat on the Spacebus 4000 C3 platform.
The 5,400 kg satellite has a service life of 15 years.
It will provide extensive Ku-band coverage across Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia for video links and data networks as well as Direct-to-Home (DTH) reception and Internet services.
- UK defends security services over Woolwich murder
- US bridge collapses sending vehicles into water
- Report shows big drop in teen births in US
- Pakistan remains opposed to illegal drone strikes in country after Obama speech
- Spanish art gets privileged space in New York museum
- Amnesty International USA Governor Rick Perry Must Halt Medellin Execution Immediately
- Texas Clean Air Cities Coalition and Environmental Defense Fund Reach Milestone Agreements With NRG Texas on Limestone Station Expansion
- Seattle drops 7th straight in 9-5 loss to Texas
- Harrell looks to help Astros bounce back from tough loss
- MLB Texas 9 Seattle 5
- Environmental Groups Court Strikes Down Bush Administration Pollution Monitoring Loophole Upholds Publics Right to Know
- Environmental Groups Judge Dismisses Inyo County Lawsuit to Open Roads in Remote Death Valley Wilderness
- Environmental Defense Fund Co-sponsor of Global Warming Solutions Act to Provide Testimony at San Jose Public Workshop on Draft Scoping Plan to Implement Law
- Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy New Global Contract Needed to Re-Assert Basic Rights Protect Environment
- Greenpeace Documents Chemical Contamination In Ghana
- North Korea envoy hands over China's Xi a note of peace
- Suspected international arms dealer joins Bout in America
- Court rules against tough sheriff
- UK defends security services over Woolwich murder
- Kiev court says no to gay rights march
- Board approves News Corp split into two entities
- Mike Darnell Steps Down as Fox Reality Capo
- UPDATE 3-News Corp to take charge of up to $1.4 bln this quarter
- Google to bankroll build wireless networks across Africa WSJ
- UPDATE 2-U.S. senator urges extreme caution on SoftBank -Sprint deal
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Houston Mirror headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Houston airport ranks 3rd in most expensive airfare
- Cops crack down on drunk drivers
- Report Houston-area bridges designated structurally deficient
- Moreland moves up to No. 2 spot
- Tepesch ready Ogando getting close