Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
Asserting that India is a complete film making destination Union Tourism Minister K. Chiranjeevi has offered wide opportunities to foreign film producers in the country. Speaking at the Cannes International Film Festival at Cannes, France, yesterday, the Minister said " We try constantly for creating new opportunities for the international filmmakers, to access diverse Indian locations, and ...
Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh has taken a decision to award minor penalty of censure to four officers of DGCA namely James George, Assistant Director (Airworthiness), V.P. Massey, Director (Airworthiness), R.K. Yadav, Assistant Director (Airworthiness) and Rajiv Gaur, Assistant Director (AE) for non-intimation of employment of their dependents in the private airlines or any sector under ...
Economic activity associated with tourism grew 4 percent in 2012 compared with the year before, Mexico's INEGI statistics service said. Spending by foreign and domestic tourists increased by 4.7 percent last year. In the fourth quarter of 2012, tourism activity topped the same period in 2011 by 4 percent, INEGI said Monday. By segments, spending by domestic tourists rose 4.8 percent, while ...
THE secret Adelaide night life that rivals Sydney's; Chinatown's hidden treasures; chef Simon Bryant joining the new food-truck culture - these windows into Adelaide life are part of a South Australian Tourism Commission campaign using films made by independent film-makers. The SATC commissioned 10 filmmakers to shoot a short feature showing why they love the state - and the results went ...
85.5°F Scattered Clouds
Winds: From the North at 9.0 MPH Gusting to 23.0 MPH
Given the manner in which it so seamlessly incorporates virtually every tearjerker sports movie clich imaginable, cynics will be forgiven if they mistake Daniel Lindsay and T.J. Martins Oscar-winning Undefeated as yet another scripted film produced in faux-documentary style. Yet, it ... ...
HARTFORD, Conn. -; The chief executive of aerospace giant United Technologies Corp. is optimistic about an improving economy and airline ...
The company that resumed riverboat cruises on the Mississippi River a year ago said Tuesday that it will offer seven-night trips starting next year on the Columbia and Snake rivers in Oregon and ...
Credit: @BurjAlArab/Twitter A hotel that bills itself as the world’s most luxurious is giving guests the ultimate in over-the-top amenities: A 24-carat gold iPad at check in. Dubai’s Burj Al Arab hotel claims to be the first in the world to offer the iPads to guests. No, the iPad is not yours to keep. Burj Al Arab teamed up with London-based Gold & Co. to offer ...
A cruise industry consultant says New Zealand risks missing out on most of the boom in the sector by not giving passengers what they want. Wendy London, of Cruise Strategy, said tourist operators were not tailoring their offerings to different size ships and different passenger mixes. The cruise industry is the fastest growing in the tourist market with 209,000 passengers making 756 port visits ...
Tourism New Zealand is hoping to double the number of international tourists who come here to play golf as part of a new strategy to attract higher spending visitors. About 50,000 overseas visitors play golf while they're here and the government agency says the enthusiasts among them spend more than double the average spend by leisure tourists of $2500. While the number of international visitors ...
On the record
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, Canada
After getting off the Greyhound bus I trudged through the Whistler Village to the bottom of Whistler Mountain, and there ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Houston MirrorHouston Mirror | Continuously updating Houston News
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Houston news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Houston Mirror is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Houston.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Houston weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Houston Mirror is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
A Proton-M rocket carrying a French telecommunications satellite has blasted off from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan, said a spokesman for Russian space agency Roscosmos.
Tuesday's launch was the 386th of a Proton rocket and the third Proton launch this year.
The launch took place at 20.02 Moscow time (4.02 p.m. GMT), the Roscosmos spokesman said.
Separation of the French W3D satellite from the Russian rocket was scheduled for 5.15 a.m. (1.15 a.m. GMT) Wednesday, he added.
The W3D satellite was built by Thales Alenia Space for Paris-based Eutelsat on the Spacebus 4000 C3 platform.
The 5,400 kg satellite has a service life of 15 years.
It will provide extensive Ku-band coverage across Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia for video links and data networks as well as Direct-to-Home (DTH) reception and Internet services.
- Moscow safer than New York Russian minister
- Shocking lawsuit claims NY high schools admissions policy racially biased
- US charges three NYU researchers for taking bribes from Chinese company
- US senators approve immigration changes requiring fingerprint system at 30 airports
- Obama admin to hand over some CIA drone operations to Pentagon
- Muppets creators items head to NY museum
- Rare $10 bill marked for city of West to be sold
- Texas House mulls new district for failing schools
- Former Texas Marine kidnapped in Mexico
- Ban on soda in elementary middle schools advances
- Climate change after cosmic impact may have wiped out wooly mammoths
- Venus Jupiter and Mercury will dance in spring twilight
- Jared Leto on Thirty Seconds to Mars Personal New Album and Ignoring Critics
- Pizza from a printer NASA to spend $125000 funding 3D food production project
- No drugs alcohol found in Newtown gunman source says
- South African regulator gives nod for Eskom wind power project
- Dumont Nickel Mine Project - Public Comments Invited
- China proposes emissions cap for first time
- Number of excellent quality UK beaches plummets
- Big-cat sightings is Britain suffering from mass hysteria
- India and China agree to boost trade and paper over border differences
- Former Pakistani military dictator Musharraf granted bail
- Over 60 killed in Iraq terror attacks
- 23 militants of Hezbollah group killed in clash with Syrian rebels
- Fergie Premier League manager of year
- PayPal wants to get rid of your wallet
- Twitter granted refresh patent vows to use it only defensively
- NBC Makes Bet on Fake Reality
- BlackBerry shifting emphasis from smartphones to services
- UPDATE 1-The Irish loophole behind Apples low tax bill
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Houston Mirror headlines delivered to your inbox.
- How you can help Oklahoma survivors
- OKC Thunders Kevin Durant makes $1M tornado pledge
- Pasadena ISD student abducted while walking home from school
- Body found in back of burned car in northeast Houston
- Medical examiner 24 dead in Oklahoma twister