Passengers in SUVs are now known to be more likely to survive a serious crash. A new study conducted by the University of Buffalo in the US has found the driver of the SUV is as much as 10 times more likely to survive in a head-on collision where a passenger car is involved. While automakers have taken steps to improve safety in normal passenger cars, such as changing bumper designs on ...
Spain has reported a trade surplus, the first since 1971. With imports slumping due to austerity measures, the first monthly trade surplus for more than 40 years is being seen as a positive development. However, the country is still suffering from an economic downturn with unemployment in Spain now running at 26.7%. The surplus of 634.9 million euros in March reflects a 15% plunge in ...
Italy's coalition government has promised to abolish some salaries and perks which are handed out to government ministers. A controversial property tax will also be abolished, or frozen, by the new government of Enrico Letta, who has also promised to do away with the double salary received by some parliamentarians. Before the election, it had been mooted by Letta's coalition partners that ...
Paintings by Jackson Pollock, Roy Lichtenstein and Jean-Michel Basquiat smashed all previous auction records at Christie's in New York during the week. In fact, several works by popular artists brought extraordinary prices. The items made $495 million for their owners at the valuable sale of postwar and contemporary art at Christie's. However, a single Andy Warhol Painting of Marilyn ...
3G operators in Thailand have all agreed to cut their tariffs. The Thai National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission has been pressuring providers to lower all their 2G and 3G tariffs by 15%. The three 3G mobile operators, Advanced Info Service, Total Access Communication and True Move have said they will launch new 3G tariff packages to reflect the request by government. It ...
76.3°F Mostly Cloudy
Winds: From the ENE at 6.0 MPH Gusting to 12.0 MPH
Les Misérables (1998)
For those who have seen the Broadway musical version of "Les Misrables" (and after more than a decade of performances, I know there are many of you out there), Bille August's film rendition of Victor Hugo's sweeping French novel will seem very familiar. The screenplay, by novelist Rafael Yglesias ("Fearless"), follows almost the exact same trajectory as the musical, which maintains the major plot ... ...
Governor of the Bank of England Mervyn King speaks to employees during the opening of the Prudential Regulation Authority, in central London April 2, ...
BKIA.MC ) are shunning a state-supervised compensation scheme in favor of expensive lawsuits, prolonging a mis-selling scandal and complicating efforts to restore faith in the banking ...
More needs to be done to secure the U.K.'s economic recovery, Bank of England Gov. Mervyn King said Sunday."We are seeing a recovery. It's only a modest recovery, and we certainly can't be satisfied with it," Mr. King said in excerpts of an interview to be broadcast on Sky News at 0900 GMT.He added policy makers need to do more to drive recovery and ensure idle resources ...
Suzanne Moore leads a phalanx of angry women with a lot to say about the flood of abuse cases, but men have signally failed to rise to the ...
Microsoft Corp is set to make a splash this week with the eagerly awaited unveiling of its new Xbox game console, eight years after the last version, as it seeks a larger share of the $65 billion a year global computer gaming industry.But the small device faces some big competition from the PlayStation 4 by Sony Corp and the Wii U by Nintendo Co Ltd in a shifting market.Gamers are gravitating to ...
On the record
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Crowne Plaza Hotel, Coogee, Sydney
This 4.5 star hotel is one of our favourites. Overlooking Coogee Beach and just a 15 minute drive from the ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Houston MirrorHouston Mirror | Continuously updating Houston News
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Houston news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Houston Mirror is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Houston.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Houston weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Houston Mirror is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
A Proton-M rocket carrying a French telecommunications satellite has blasted off from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan, said a spokesman for Russian space agency Roscosmos.
Tuesday's launch was the 386th of a Proton rocket and the third Proton launch this year.
The launch took place at 20.02 Moscow time (4.02 p.m. GMT), the Roscosmos spokesman said.
Separation of the French W3D satellite from the Russian rocket was scheduled for 5.15 a.m. (1.15 a.m. GMT) Wednesday, he added.
The W3D satellite was built by Thales Alenia Space for Paris-based Eutelsat on the Spacebus 4000 C3 platform.
The 5,400 kg satellite has a service life of 15 years.
It will provide extensive Ku-band coverage across Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia for video links and data networks as well as Direct-to-Home (DTH) reception and Internet services.
- Sarah Michelle Gellar shares best parenting advice
- NY bar to host smallest penis contest
- Suspected U.S. drone attack in Yemen kills 4 Al Qaeda militants
- I want to shoot Hillary Clinton right in the vagina says radio host
- Rooney Mara to endorse Calvin Klein perfume
- New needleless acupuncture therapy reduces diabetics indigestion symptoms
- Bradley holds on to slim lead in Texas
- Johnson downs Dallas Timbers extend run
- Faces of Diabetes Belva Robinson
- Cost of Diabetes Saying goodbye to…
- Rodents return to Earth after space flight
- Moon meteor blast visible to naked eye on Earth says NASA
- Break-in suspect Hofstra student victim both killed by police during confrontation
- Medical emergency eyed in Va. parade crash
- Space Capsule Returns Cosmic Rodents to Earth after Month-Long Flight
- Dubai moves to stop ivory tusk smuggling
- Science promises strawberry fields forever
- Green Deal debt may have to be repaid before property sold
- Lauren Laverne on fashion shopping with a conscience
- Mississippians join international environmental movement
- Missile launched from North Korea
- Iraq seeing more violence
- Mobile phones can be tracked says US judge
- Sex assaults convince top general to take action
- Gay marriage can now take place in France
- Fugitive to police on Facebook Catch me if you can. They do
- How to really really make your naked Snapchat photos disappear
- Google Translate now serves 200 million people daily
- New Xbox more than a game console for Microsoft
- Could Tumblr turn into Yahoos MySpace
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Houston Mirror headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Holland looks to maintain season-long consistency
- Powerball winning numbers announced
- DEA officer shoots man in Houstonian parking lot
- Houston police officer involved in major accident
- 300-pound Texas man dies after police use stun gun